Is Your Dog Crying For Help – Is He In Distress?
Hello My Puppy Friends,
Your dog is very similar to you, in that you both can feel stress or anxiety, illness or pain, loneliness or frustration. But, unlike you, it can be difficult for your pup to let you know he is in distress.
So, then how do you know if there is something wrong with your dog, or not?
No one knows your dog better than you do, so it’s up to you to be aware of what is going on, if it is a real problem or if he just wants a little attention.
Luckily there are some specific things you can watch for, to understand Fido’s behavior better.
Signs Your Dog Is In Distress…
- What if your dog is panting excessively?
- If he hasn’t been exercising, but is panting heavily, he is probably experiencing stress of some kind. Panting can also be a sign that he is dehydrated.
- What if Fido has really bad breath?
- It could mean something as simple as Fido needs his teeth brushed. Or it could be something more serious such as dental problems, liver or kidney disease, worms or diabetes.
- What if your dog is shaking?
- Many dogs shake after having a bath or because they are cold. But shaking can also be caused from pain or stress, he may have eaten something that has made him sick or he may even have been poisoned.
- What if your dog is shedding more than usual?
- Most dogs shed periodically, but if it becomes excessive, it could be another sign of being nervous or stressed about something.
- What if your dog seems to be urinating more than usual?
- Again, stress can be the culprit if your dog is urinating excessively. But stress can also cause your dog not to eat and then be unable to have a bowel movement.
- What if your dog is drooling, yawning or licking excessively?
- These 3 types of behavior can indicate he is bored or anxious about something. Excessive licking is also a sign that he is trying to deal with pain from an injury. If he is licking his paws a lot, he could have an allergy that is causing them to itch.
- What if Fido’s posture looks strange?
- When a dog is stressed or fearful, he will often shift his weight to his rear legs…a sign of cowering from something or someone. Another sign of being fearful is tucking his tail between his legs.
- What if your more mature dog begins chewing on things?
- An older dog that begins chewing on things around the house, that he has never chewed on before, could be telling you he is not getting enough to eat, he may need more nutrients.
- What if Fido doesn’t want to be petted?
- Most dogs love to be petted, especially by their family, but if your dog shies away from petting or flinches when he is being touched, it could mean that he hurts somewhere.
- What if your dog just stares at you?
- This could indicate that he needs something…he could be hungry, or need to go outside…whatever it is, something is on his mind.
- What if your dog is pacing?
- Like humans, dogs can be worried or concerned, which can cause a dog to pace back and forth or in circles. He is uncomfortable about something such as a loud noise or a lot of commotion. Pacing can also be a way to relieve stress.
These signs may not be warning signs of anything serious, but it’s smart not to ignore them, which could make a small problem worse. If you notice your dog exhibiting signs that he doesn’t normally, keep an eye on him so you can alleviate any stress or minor problem, or deal with any situation that could require a visit to your vet.
One of the best things you can do for your new pup is to get him/her signed up for a puppy class.